ARBS FOUNDATION AGM
17 September 2019
I am pleased to present my Chairman’s report for the ARBS Foundation for the 2019 financial year.
The highlight of the year has been the formalising of regular contributions from ARBS Exhibitions. The level of contribution has been set at $375,000 per annum for the 2019 and 2020. The level of contribution will be reviewed by Exhibitions each year and in detail following each two yearly event but it is anticipated that this level of contribution should be sustainable.
In this context I am pleased to report that the expectations for success of the 2020 exhibition to be held in Melbourne are high with additional space being taken due to the high early bookings. Sue Falcke and her team continue to do an excellent job. Their quest for ongoing improvement is exceptional.
The challenge for the Foundation becomes appropriate application of these funds Through the course of the 2019 financial year the following activities have been supported;
- Solar House study by Sydney TAFE- this unfortunately has been an ongoing source of The team has been unable to present results in a manner that would stand up to professional scrutiny.
- Team Catalyst Study on energy consumption comparison between VAV, underfloor and chilled beam air conditioning systems- completed and well
- Support for Engineers without Borders- 2 students to attend Design Summit later this year- crossover into 2020 financial
- Refrigeration scholarships in conjunction with AREMA and AMCA- now moving into its 4th year- cross over into 2020 financial
- AIRAH DA19 user guide- in
In addition to continuation of funding for the initiatives mentioned above we have received the following requests for funding;
- CIBSE for the development and implementation of building services training
- AIRAH for the reworking and updating of the Fairair website to assist domestic air conditioning system
The limited requests for funding have been disappointing and a significant part of our challenge as the Foundation Board is to identify ways and means of encouraging worthy projects to seek funding. The Board meeting papers include a discussion note from David Eynon that proposes a number of ideas in this context.
This will be Allen Williams’ last meeting as a member of the Foundation Board. Allen was instrumental in revitalising ARBS Exhibitions and laying the base for the success Exhibitions enjoys. He has been an excellent contributor to the Foundation Board and I am sure I speak for all directors in thanking Allen sincerely for his contribution.
Brett Fairweather has indicated his willingness to join the Board and I believe his experience and dedication will make him a valuable addition to the Board. Following this meeting I propose that we seek formal ratification from the Exhibitions Board for Brett’s appointment to the Foundation Board. Brett attends this meeting as an observer.
We will also discuss other potential Foundation directors at the meeting.
I also take this opportunity to thank the directors for their contribution through the year and a particular vote of thanks to David Eynon for his initiative, work quality and professionalism in his Executive Officer role- Thank you David
I look forward to our meeting and to progressing the aims of the Foundation through the year ahead.